Is Leaving my Marriage the Right Thing for Me?
Ending a marriage is not a decision that people (should) take lightly. Many people making the decision to divorce have thought about it for one or many years. Unfortunately, even when a marriage is long past saving, many people will stick around! There are many reasons that people will hold off on ending a marriage. Getting married is a big commitment, and ending it is also a big deal. It can be scary, thinking about losing the one person you were supposed to be with for the rest of your life. Here are some things to think about if you are making the decision to get a divorce-
- Agreeing to a marriage is agreeing to try your hardest to work through all of your problems. But if you’ve tried everything you can think of, and you are at the point of sacrificing your happiness, then it is just not healthy anymore.
- A marriage should be about love and mutual support; if it is a struggle to even do this, then you are not in the right marriage.
- If your partner makes you feel like you are not a good person, or makes you feel like you have no power or control over the relationship, they are not the right person for you.
- If you are staying married for the sake of someone else, (aka your kids, friends, or family), then you are only hurting yourself, them, and the person you are with.
- It is important to be with someone that you really love, and love being with. This will show others what a good relationship looks like.
- If you are in the right relationship for you, it will be easy. Of course, every relationship requires work, but the right one will be easier than it is work.
These are just a few things to think about, to make sure you’re doing what is right for you.